Re: Text/Enhanced straw man

1993-02-15 04:51:45
Well, I almost agreed with you, but when you think about it, *if*
repeat *if* text/enhanced catches on, and people want to improve it,
we had better have some sort of extension mechanism in place from the
   No disagreement.  I was just advocating "start small, add stuff in
only when the need is demonstrated" rather than trying to be
comprehensive initially.

(By the way, is it possible to write an SGML definition (DTD?) geared
towards the *...* syntax?  Are SGML's syntax rules *that* flexible?)
   I doubt it.  If nothing else, I've seen a few SGML parser systems
that develop severe sicknesses if one departs signficantly from the
reference syntax so, even if you could make this work in theory...
And my intuition is that you would have trouble making it work in
theory, given the difficulties of distinguishing end tags and start
tags, e.g., figuring out what _foo*bar abc_def* means.

    john