Re: Text/Enhanced straw man

1993-02-14 16:29:36

<paragraph> -o It should be trivial to type. </paragraph>
<paragraph> Yes, but the intention should be to use a good composing agent. People won't be able to type it exactly right. </paragraph>
<paragraph> I'm afraid I disagree. I think requiring a composing agent is one of the two reasons richtext has not seen widespread use (the other being it's not quite readable enough without), and I think enhanced/simple text should address both failings, not just the readability one. </paragraph> <paragraph> I know for my part, if I can't remember it and type it, I won't use it; my composing agent is my editor, and I don't intend learn a new tool just for sending pretty email. I'd much rather trade formatting capabilities for ease of use. For instance, I have never used what I would consider a footnote in email (parenthetical remarks, yes, but not footnotes) so I would gladly leave them out. </paragraph> <paragraph> (For those wondering why I have a richtext alternative, it's only because I have an awk script that turns cheesytext (not to be confused with enhanced or simple text) like that in the plain alternative into richtext, not because I compose it in richtext, and then produce a plain version.) </paragraph>