Re: software that drops MIME headers

1993-03-09 11:06:11
To:  ietf-822(_at_)dimacs(_dot_)rutgers(_dot_)edu
Subject:  Re: software that drops MIME headers
Date:  Mon, 08 Mar 93 10:39:26 +0900

Re: MIME header dropping, I would like to point out that RFCs 1341 and
1342 were designed very differently.  1342 deliberately extended the
right-hand sides of the current headers.  In much the same way, and
for similar reasons, 1341 should have extended the body of the 822
message, and not the headers.

I see the situation somewhat differently.  The set of 822 headers is
supposed to be extensible, by design.  RFC 822 specifically allows new
headers to be defined (section 4.7.5).  The extensions in RFC 1341 are
entirely within the scope of what 822 can deal with -- except for the
use of characters with codes > 128 in 8BIT or BINARY body parts.

1342 is wierd because it *changes the meaning* of the headers -- therefore
stressing 822 beyond its original design.

MIME is designed to fit within the framework of RFC 822.  Any mail system
or MTA that can't deal with extension headers does not conform to RFC 822,
and is therefore not within the scope of MIME.

Of course, it would be nice to provide MIME-like facilities to non-822-based
systems, and I don't want to discourage anyone else from trying to do so,
but I don't think this WG should concern itself with that task.

Keith