Re: Comment on the draft MIME Part 1 document

1993-04-28 13:27:04
To:  moore <moore(_at_)cs(_dot_)utk(_dot_)edu>
Subject:  Re: Comment on the draft MIME Part 1 document
Date:  Wed, 28 Apr 1993 14:21:09 +0000

On RFC 1137: Note that I think Steve thinks it was a mistake.
(actually, I'd agree...)
[...]
The reason is that we have completely failed to make anything like a
tight fence between the "restricted encoding" and the "nonrestricted
encoding" parts of the RFC 822 worlds, let alone make that fence
follow RFC 1137 rules.

That is why any scheme for "encoding" 8-bit user names as 822
local-parts MUST apply to every use of such a user name within that
mail domain.  It won't do to have one way to spell a local-part within
an 822-enclave and map it to an encoded version elsewhere.

I'm not at all sure that we can set up a "tight fence" even in this
case, but it seems like we are better off with some kind of fence than
none at all...perhaps we have the opportunity to make some
recommendations and promote a sane way of dealing with this problem,
which hopefully is better than having to deal with 8-bit addresses.

Keith