Re: Comment on the draft MIME Part 1 document

1993-04-27 19:54:55
< We can't prevent people from using 8-bit characters as login names.
< However, if they use that login name for an email address, they won't be
< able to receive mail at all from many sites around the world.  My
< perception is that this practice is not nearly as widespread as that of
< sending 8-bit body parts.
<
< Restricting addresses to 7-bit ASCII is a necessity for general
< interoperability...at least until the entire world adopts a larger
< universal character set.
<
< That's not to say that we cannot recommend a way of encoding addresses as
< ASCII characters.  (No, the RFC 1342 encoding is NOT appropriate.)

It sounds like you have an idea already on what would be appropriate. Would
you care to elaborate? Also, why do you think the 1342 encoding is not
appropriate?

                                        Tony Hansen
                            hansen(_at_)pegasus(_dot_)att(_dot_)com,
tony(_at_)attmail(_dot_)com
                                att!pegasus!hansen, attmail!tony