Mime-Version in message/rfc822 encapsulated messages

1993-08-05 20:46:04
I understand that the Mime-Version header is not required in the headers of
the subparts of a multipart message, and those subparts are still to be
considered MIME.  Is, however, the Mime-Version header required in a
message encapsulated inside a message/rfc822 part?

Ie, if I receive this:

--boundary
content-type: message/rfc822

from: somebody
subject: inner message

inner message body
--boundary

Am I to assume that "inner message" is a MIME message?  Or would:

--boundary
content-type: message/rfc822

mime-version: 1.0
from: somebody
subject: inner message

inner message body
--boundary

be needed if I were supposed to treat "inner message" as a MIME message?

My reading of the spec does not shed light on this.  My assumption is that
all bets are off on the encapsulated message, and that the mime-version:
header is indeed required.  However, the intelligence of my assumptions has
been questioned before, so I am asking the Oracle for a Revelation.  I have
a nice white goat and a big knife all ready...

--
Steve Dorner, Qualcomm Inc.
"Sometimes my Daddy helps the good guys beat the bad guys,