Robustness of message/partial

1993-08-20 09:27:52
I hope the message/partial type to be more ROBUST against some ill
mannered MTAs and MUAs which automatically insert something before
or after a message body.

For example, I know a mail-list handler and a mail-to-news gateway,
which insert additional information at beginning of bodies of resent
messages.  And "Inews" appends ".signature" file at the end of
article body.

Can I save partical messages from such destructions ?

If there is no way to do so, I wish some extension to be added to
the spec. of message/partial, or need new content type like
"MESSAGE/ROBUST-PARTIAL" to be introduced.  I think the most
naive solution is introducing "boundary" parameter to the partial
message, and wrap up the message body with the defined boundary.

(Such MTAs/MUAs are also harmful to all of basic content-types like
audio and image, but they can be saved by enclosing them in a
multipart message.)

Yutaka
--
Yutaka Sato <ysato(_at_)etl(_dot_)go(_dot_)jp>
Information Base Section