Re: Initial comments on draft-ietf-822ext-mime-imb-00

1994-06-26 14:36:19
At 6:36 PM 6/25/94, Nathaniel Borenstein wrote:
I also agree with Valdis' interpretation of section 5.2.  The first few
='s are legal, and everything after that is ignored.

The ONLY (tiny) check on the integrity of base64 is the number of = signs
on the end.  If you allow people just to add a bunch of equal signs, you've
removed even that.  And I'm not real happy about allowing random characters
in the middle of things, either.  Who needs to do that?

My current procedure is to warn users if these things occur.

content-MD5 is all very well and good, but it assumes the sender is going
to make two passes over the data; once to figure out the checksum and once
to send the data.  (One of the nice things about the Mac BinHex format is
that the checksums come at the end, not the beginning.)

--
Steve Dorner, Qualcomm Incorporated
 "There's nothing wrong with you that can't be cured