Re: 8-bit transmission in NNTP

1994-09-13 08:19:57
On Sep 12, 18:58, Mark(_dot_)R(_dot_)Horton(_at_)att(_dot_)com wrote:
Subject: Re: 8-bit transmission in NNTP

}It is not totally clear to me that doing Base64 encoding on binary
}attachments is the right long term thing to do.  I've seen criticism
}of MIME (as compared to X.400) in that MIME requires such an encoding.

It is my understanding that Base64 encoding is not needed where ESMTP is
supported. Issue being, there are few mass-market ESMTP capable MIME clients
(am
sure we'll hear of a few now...:-). Also, I'm not clear on how using no
encoding
of an 8bit MIME body part would be handled in the example below....:

                8 BIT Capable           7 BIT Capable
        MIME:8BIT-->ESMTP Server-->SMTP Server-->MIME:7BIT

--

Cheers!

[ psr ]