Re: 8-bit transmission in NNTP

1994-09-12 17:54:34
Keith Moore wrote:

I see no reason to have news use a different solution than e-mail.
It only creates unnecessary complications for gateways.

This is indeed a valid point. Increasingly the mail/news/WWW clients are
integrated and need to have as many common standards as can be achieved without
significant limitations. News and mail are not fundamentally different
creatures (although the distribution methods may be as was clearly
elaborated in prior posts). There are always going to be tradeoffs with
decisions like this but to sacrifice interoperability (between news and mail
header encoding) for a couple of "I may want this feature" lozenges is
probably not wise.

I assume the presence of Steve Dorner exemplifies this (are you working on
an integrated news reader?) trend.

John L. MacFarlane (John(_dot_)MacFarlane(_at_)Software(_dot_)com)
Software.com
203 Chapala Street                (805) 899-4274
Santa Barbara, California 93101   (805) 962-5188 Fax.