Re: 8-bit transmission in NNTP

1994-09-19 05:59:23
On Sep 18, 15:22, Keld J|rn Simonsen wrote:
} Subject: Re: 8-bit transmission in NNTP
 Ran Atkinson writes:

Well, your mnemonic spec does not work on the majority of Internet
netnews nor email sites today, as it is not actually mnemonic for all
romanised languages (e.g. Vietnamese, which is always romanised), is
not a general solution to the multilingual problem, and is not widely
implemented and deployed outside dkuug.dk.

% Well, it works for all of internet, in the raw mode. Only ASCII is
% assumed supported, and that can be assumed to be universally available,
% viz. ASCII being a requirement of RFC 822.

But it is NOT _mnemonic_ to HUMANS and hence of no real value !
It certainly isn't better than QP as a general solution.

% Vietnamese is supported, as you know Ran.

Vietnamese encoding using Keld-char is UNREADABLE.  Hardly "supported".

        There is a convention for Vietnamese into ASCII which has been
used for many years on Vietnamese mailing lists and newsgroups, is
documented in an RFC, and is reasonably mnemonic for Vietnamese
readers/writers.  Your encodings for Vietnamese are horrible and can't
be parsed by Vietnamese readers/writers.  Your encodings are designed
to be tremendously Euro-centric and Danish-centric.  They do not
represent a general solution to the problem and never have.

% It is quite widely implemented and deployed, I know many sites outside
% Denmark using it. It is not mainsteam, tho.
}-- End of excerpt from Keld J|rn Simonsen

        It is not "widely implemented and deployed".  It is more
deployed than it used to be but it is not widespread.  I do not know
of any commercial implementations at all.  I'd be interested to hear
of commercial implementations (any vendor who implements Keld-char
with their MIME implementation can not bid their MIME implementation
on the Navy standard workstation contract because we need a GENERAL
solution to multilingual messaging that isn't Euro-centric; ISO-10646
support is strongly desired by us).

        Keld, on the subject of your rejected character set encoding
proposal you are without a doubt the most frequent and blatent liar
I've seen in over 10 years on the net.  You truly astonish me.

Chao`,

Ran
atkinson(_at_)itd(_dot_)nrl(_dot_)navy(_dot_)mil