Re: 8-bit transmission in NNTP

1994-09-19 12:22:18
On Sep 19,  9:24am, Ned Freed wrote:
} Subject: Re: 8-bit transmission in NNTP
}
} > % It is quite widely implemented and deployed, I know many sites outside
} > % Denmark using it. It is not mainsteam, tho.
} > }-- End of excerpt from Keld J|rn Simonsen
}
} > It is not "widely implemented and deployed".  It is more
} > deployed than it used to be but it is not widespread.  I do not know
} > of any commercial implementations at all.  I'd be interested to hear
} > of commercial implementations
}
} PMDF uses mnemonic support as part of its character set conversion
} facilities.  I'm quite sure of this since I wrote the code to do it. I
} believe PP uses RFC1345 mnemonics as well. That's two commercial
} implementations right off, and I'm pretty sure there are several more.

Just as a data point:  We recently got from a very large firm, which
shall remain nameless, an RFP for their corporate-wide mail system.
That RFP stated as one of the requirements of the system that it MUST
*NOT* use any part of RFC1345.  No explanation for this was given.

--
Bart Schaefer                     Vice President, Technology, Z-Code Software
schaefer(_at_)z-code(_dot_)com               Division of Network Computing

               It's a clean job only if nobody's got to do it.