Re: 8-bit transmission in NNTP

1994-09-18 05:11:54
Masataka Ohta writes:

Instead, unlike unusablly long encoding with multipart/mixed-charset
switching, ISO-2022-INT-* can be used anywhere inside or outside of
MIME.

Well, ISO-2022-INT-* does not work on the majority of internet netnews
nor email sites today, as there is no support for it.

It seems to me that people expect me to give evidence on full
interoperability between more than two implementations before making
ISO-2022-INT-* full Internet standard. Why?

Anyway, I have it.

ISO-2022-INT-* is proved to work and actually is working completely
well for all the internet news amd mail sites today (problems related
to structured headers are known inadvance and it is not proposed to
use raw ISO-2022-INT-* as is in structured headers). That is, it works
at least as well as charset based MIME encoding and actually working
a lot better, because it does not need 8bit transport nor charset
designation.

Though the incompatibility between MIME charset encoding and local
encoding is completely different issue, that is an issue of
terminal emulators and editors, which has little to do with internet
protocol. Yes, it is an important issue to use the encoding in the
readl world and I do have real world evidences for ISO-2022-INT-*.

That is, xterms does support a lot of character sets of full ISO 2022.
MULE also supports a super set of ISO-2022-INT-*. And they interoperate.

                                                Masataka Ohta

PS

And we have the evidence that  those who use ISO-8859-1 does not
interoperate with me.