Re: MIME compression mechanism

1994-10-16 11:24:18
On Fri, 14 Oct 1994, Kazuhiko Yamamoto =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCOzNLXE9CSScbKEI=?=
wrote:

I have read rfc1521 and draft-ietf-822ext-mime-imb-00.txt but I can't
find compression mechanism for MIME. As you know, picture or audio
data is too large. So, I think compression mechanism is very important
for MIME.

Once upon a time I would have thought this was a good idea (modulo the
problems Keith has pointed out).  Now I'm not so sure.  With the advent of
compressing modems and compressing filesystems, the need to save
transmission time and disk space is becoming less of an issue day by day.
Sure, some systems don't yet have such things, but no doubt will have them
in the future if users see the need and pressure the manufacturers.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers,

Rhys.