Re: MIME compression mechanism

1994-10-16 12:27:43
Tom Limoncelli writes:
P.S.  Is there a mailer that tries to base64, quoted-printable, etc. etc.
looking for the best way to send something or do they still all require
the user to select the encoding?

Dan_Grillo(_at_)next(_dot_)com (Dan Grillo) writes:
NeXT's Mail in NEXTSTEP 3.3 "just works".  The user only chooses between
plain mail, NeXTmail and MIME.

Unfortunately, I don't think NeXT have got it right -- I frequently see
mail that's a uuencoded tar of a compressed file /tmp/.long_name that's
in RTF.  I don't know (not having a NeXT box) what's going on, but it's
not very portable... perhaps this is NeXTmail sent out by mistake, e.g.
to mailing lists.

Apart from that, having things `just work' is wonderful -- it's the way
computers ought to work, especially for people less interested in the
underlying technology.

lee

--
Liam Quin, Manager of Contracting, SoftQuad Inc +1 416 239 4801
lee(_at_)sq(_dot_)com