Re: unregistered subtypes in MIME

1994-10-18 07:25:45
At 10:44 PM 10/17/94, Mark Crispin wrote:
This results in an ambiguity as to whether or not it is permitted to use an
unregistered MIME subtype that does not begin with ``X-''.  Although we feel

So which is it?  Either way, the BNF needs to be fixed.  I don't think that it

recent feelings have been to require ALL unregistered strings to begin with
the X-.  This is markedly more stringent than RFC822, but does reflect most
peoples assumption about RFC822.  Besides that, it reflects the current
feeling that folks want to make REAL CLEAR what is and is not 'official'.

d/

Dave Crocker
Brandenburg Consulting                          Phone:  +1 408 246 8253
675 Spruce Dr.                                  Fax:    +1 408 249 6205
Sunnyvale, CA  94086               Email:
dcrocker(_at_)mordor(_dot_)stanford(_dot_)edu