Re: unregistered subtypes in MIME

1994-10-21 05:59:49
- Anything registered must have a published specification, so that
 anyone can write a viewer for that format and distribute it freely
 if he wants to.

I think that's a completely unworkable policy.  We need names for
proprietary formats, too.

I also know that is not the policy that has been followed.

We registered the macmime types (applefile, mac-binhex40, appledouble)
before there was a published specification (though I'll admit that they are
public formats that we intended to publish).

Furthermore, the "published specification" section for at least two
registered types (application/msword, application/macwriteii) say that a
published spec is unavailable.

--
Steve Dorner, Qualcomm Incorporated.  "Oog make mission statement."