Re: unregistered subtypes in MIME

1994-10-25 16:00:32
Folks,

I think that the hang-up, here, has to do with the term "specification".
Most of us expect such a beast to describe all of the syntax and semantics
details.  That's what we usually produce, so that's what we expect.

For the purposes of Content-type registration,I suggest that we use a
rather looser definition.  Namely, a "specification" may be all of the
detail we are used to OR it may be a a description of the content type,
sufficient for distinguishing it from all others and sufficient for
characterizing the agent responsible for creating or processing the named
object.

Hence, a content type of "msword" would need to say that the details are
specified by Microsoft, for their family of Word applications.  A content
type of "wordperfect5.1" would need to say that the details are specified
by Novell/Wordperfect for the 5.1 version of their Wordperfect application.

(The above, of course, is supposed to be a couple of examples about scope
and style of the specification; I'm sure that all sorts of details need to
be different.)

Hence, the two purposes of such a 'specification' are a) to reserve the
name, and b) assign ownership of the associated object syntax and semantics
to a particular party.  Delegation of authority is a time-honored activity
and I think this would be reasonable to administer for us.

Thoughts?

Dave

Dave Crocker
Brandenburg Consulting                          Phone:  +1 408 246 8253
675 Spruce Dr.                                  Fax:    +1 408 249 6205
Sunnyvale, CA  94086               Email:
dcrocker(_at_)mordor(_dot_)stanford(_dot_)edu