Re: Lessons Learned from a Foreign Culture

1994-10-28 05:35:27
At 9:52 PM 10/27/94, Mr Rhys Weatherley wrote:
That was the way I always understood it.  If the transport is free to mess
with the contents then we will be stuck with base64-grottiness forever.

I believe that the transport's "freedom to mess with the contents" is
limited to the appropriate canonicalizations and decanonicalizations as
required by the content-type/content-subtype.

I do not believe that the CTE: should have any effect on
canonicalization/decanonicalization of a data type.  Text encoded in base64
gets canonicalized first.  Why should text "encoded" in "binary" not also?

I'd like to see a gradual progression to a world that can send real
binary parts, labelled as such, and avoid encodings which add 33% to the
size of the message.

That's not at all incompatible with what I'm saying.  I'm not saying that
CTE: binary is *always* subject to newline canonicalization; I'm saying it
is only subject when the type itself is subject.  CRLF in, say, image/gif
is unaffected.

--
Steve Dorner, Qualcomm Incorporated.  "Oog make mission statement."