Re: Lessons Learned from a Foreign Culture

1994-10-28 12:51:50
<< That's not at all incompatible with what I'm saying.  I'm not saying that
<< CTE: binary is *always* subject to newline canonicalization; I'm saying
<< it is only subject when the type itself is subject.  CRLF in, say,
<< image/gif is unaffected.

< This isn't going to happen because the transfer agent will do newline
< canonicalization  whether the user agent likes it or not.

Right now, I'm thinking that newline canonicalization should be done ONLY
under these circumstances:

        content-type            content-transfer-encoding

        text/*                  all encodings
        anything else           quoted-printable and base64

That is, when transmitting a content type of anything besides text, the ONLY
time you touch the newlines is when you're dealing with a transfer encoding
type of quoted-printable or base64, and then only while the part is encoded.

This should be specified more clearly in the MIME RFC's.

                                        Tony Hansen
                            hansen(_at_)pegasus(_dot_)att(_dot_)com,
tony(_at_)attmail(_dot_)com
                                att!pegasus!hansen, attmail!tony