Re: Lessons Learned from a Foreign Culture

1994-10-28 12:24:59
At 5:40 PM 10/27/94, Ned Freed wrote:
I do not believe that the CTE: should have any effect on
canonicalization/decanonicalization of a data type.  Text encoded in base64
gets canonicalized first.  Why should text "encoded" in "binary" not also?

I completely agree.

Good!  So maybe I'm not off in left field for once.

But can you clarify what 1521 means by "does not require adherence to ...
the SMTP CRLF semantics."?

Some people (not me) have read this to mean that the data should not be
subject to canonicalization.  If we agree that this isn't what it means,
then what *does* it mean?

CRLF maybe, but in general you can't assume that all non-text types are
automatically not subject to some form of canonicalization.

Oh, agreed. I just tried to pick a "safe" example; should have known better  :-)

--
Steve Dorner, Qualcomm Incorporated.  "Oog make mission statement."