Re: Internationalization of the Internet

1994-11-18 19:08:52
This is not a matter subject to opinion.  In other words, the charset
parameter very much IS required for any text which is not simple ASCII.

You are simply wrong. However strongly you might require, charset
parameter does NOT EXIST in non-MIME mails.

This list is for Internet mail.  All Internet mail IETF work, pertaining to
the mail object, in recent years, has been with respect to mail objects
based on Mime.

And now is the time to consider the Internaionalized Internet including
mails, to which MIME is unrelated.

As some seems to have misunderstood that MIME is related to it, ietf-822
ML is suitable for related discussions.

Hence, my comment was only with respect to Mime.

Only with respect to MIME. Excellent.

So, the current MIME specification for non-Mime mail that says:

            Default RFC 822 messages are typed by this protocol as plain
            text  in the US-ASCII character set, which can be explicitly
            specified as "Content-type:  text/plain;  charset=us-ascii".

should be removed, because, for you, it is specification on non-MIME
mails and, for me, it is obstacle to the Internationalized Internet.

not on the ietf-822  mailing list.  please take your subgroup elsewhere, so
that this list may continue to pursue matters of IETF email efforts.

Sure. With the above consensus, we can.

                                                Masataka Ohta