Re: HTML in MIME mail

1994-11-22 15:42:01
Excerpts from mail: 22-Nov-94 Re: HTML in MIME mail
Harald(_dot_)T(_dot_)Alvestrand(_at_)unin (460)

Agree that this needs a bit of thinking about! Now to find someone
to do the thinking....

Yes, that's the problem alright.  I suspect we'll end up with two rather
different schemes for referencing stable and dynamic entities.  --

And there's another issue to be considered: what do relative URLs mean in
the context of "message/external-body"?

I've been working some on a spec for a URL access-type for external bodies,
and the problem occurred to me in that context, but once we have "text/html",
the problem exists whatever the access-type is.  Ordinarily, an external body,
once retrieved, is treated as a part of the enclosing MIME entity.  But if
I send someone a reference to an HTML document which uses relative URLs, what
do they mean?

Again, it seems that both interpretations will have their uses.

---glv