Re: We are using ISO-2022-JP *NOW*!

1994-12-12 03:34:10
One way of getting Americans to understand the views of people

I'm afraid that your opening, here, is extremely unhelpful.  You might
consider refraining from attributing difficulties in the discussion to
ethnocentrism.  There has been nothing in the content of my messages, or
others espousing similar views, that pertain to national original or
affiliation.

I apologize sincerely for my statement which you quoted. You are quite
right. I should have written "some people" instead of "the Americans".

No. It is well known and objectively proved fact that most "Americans"
are bad at understanding foreign cultures.

Ignoring such a basic fact and treating "Americans in general" understand
something is quite intechnical.

Many Americans show a deep understanding of the problems with character
sets which some non-English language users have.

Sure. I think there are more than 1,000 such "Americans". But, as far
as this ML concerns, your re-wording changes almost nothing.

                                                Masataka Ohta

PS

Considering Canada, Mexico and South America countries, the word
"Americans" is another US centrism and inappropriate.