Re: CTE:

1994-12-15 12:11:59
At 05.17 12/15/94, Kazuhiko Yamamoto =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCOzNLXE9CSScbKEI=?=
<kazu wrote:
Thanks Keith, Rick, Dave, Pete, and Parik.

I'm very much satisfied with the answer that CTE: 7bit is appropriate
for charset=iso-2022-jp.

Yes!

And the quenstion "How about ISO-8859-1?" means that which CTE: should
be used for charset=iso-8859-1. (Sorry for confusion.) Some person
says that quoted-printable is the one.

Correct!

This time I'd like to ask Europe environment. In ISO-8859-1 area, 8bit
data ISO-8859-1 is usually send directly before MIME? Or
quoted-printable encoding exists and pepole used to use it before
MIME?

I don't understand this question. But, I will try to answer anyway.

When sending ISO-8859-1 inside Europe, you will always send it as
MIME, i.e. mark it as with a "Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1"
header. But, it might also be the case that we have an 8-bit clean
transport channel in the bottom, so we can use CTE:8bit, and not
Quoted-Printable. My recommendation is though that this should
only be done when ESMTP extention 8BITMIME is used. Never assume
a 8-bit clean transport mechanism.

Also, ISO-8859-1 is NOT suitable for all of europe.

How about present situation? "charset=ISO-8859-1 CTE:8bit" is used
with 8BITMIME transportation? Or do people use "CTE:
quoteted-printable" with MIME UA?

Both. You should use 8BITMIME and check if you can use CTE 8bit,
else you should use Quoted-Printable.

I think "us-ascii date" is better. And "7bit date" should mean line
based octet date whose 8th bit is not set(i.e. 0 - 127).

I, personally, also think that the wording should be that 7bit means
that no octets exists which have the 8th bit set (i.e. 0-127) and
that it is line-based.

With this definition ISO-2022-JP fits into this definition.

7bit does NOT say anything about the character set used.

   Patrik