Re: CTE:

1994-12-15 14:16:47
On 12/14/94 at 10:17 PM, Kazuhiko Yamamoto
=?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCOzNLXE9CSScbKEI=?=  <kazu wrote:
Thanks Keith, Rick, Dave, Pete, and Parik.

You are welcome. Unfortuately, I think we may have steered you in the wrong
direction.

I'm very much satisfied with the answer that CTE: 7bit is appropriate
for charset=iso-2022-jp.

I'm not so sure anymore. As you say below:

(1) On page 10, the definition "7bit data" is given as follows;

       "7bit data" refers to data that is all represented as short
       lines of US-ASCII.  CR (decimal value 13) and LF (decimal
       value 10) characters only occur as part of CRLF line
       separation sequences and no NULs (US-ASCII value 0) are
       allowed.

The rules about CR, LF, and NUL also hold for 8bit data, as the draft continues:

       "8bit data" refers to data that is all represented as
       short lines, but there may be non-US-ASCII characters
       (octets with the high-order bit set) present.  As with
       "7bit data" CR and LF characters only occur as part of
       CRLF line separation sequences and no NULs are allowed.

But RFC 1468, which I quoted earlier, is also clear that the text of an
ISO-2022-JP message may contain:

   single-byte-char    = <any 7BIT, including bare CR & bare LF...

And that will include NUL as well.

So it seems that RFC 1468 is in direct disagreement with
<draft-ietf-822ext-mime-imb-01.txt>. This restriction did not appear in RFC
1521. According to <draft-ietf-822ext-mime-imb-01.txt>, *neither* straight
7bit *nor* straight 8bit CTE is legal with ISO-2022-JP if contains bare CR,
bare LF, or NUL.

I went back to the archive and there was a long discussion about this
around October 24, 1994. Evidently it was decided that NUL, bare CR, and
bare LF are not handled properly by most MTAs. (I don't think it's worth
rehashing those arugments here; some people agree and some don't.) In any
event, it looks like the only choices with ISO-2022-JP is to use QP or
BASE64 (or straight binary if anything supported it) as your CTE.

My apologies for my confusion.

pr

--
Pete Resnick - presnick(_at_)qualcomm(_dot_)com
QUALCOMM Incorporated