Re: CTE:

1994-12-17 15:18:16
< From: paf(_at_)bunyip(_dot_)com (Patrik Faltstrom)
<
< If you think Q-P is unusable, then use Base64, but never, ever use 8bit
< without using the 8BITMIME ESMTP extension. As long as we have one server
< which is not 8-bit clean, then you can never assume that you can
< just-send-8.

If you use SMTP, I agree that you should never send 8bit without using the
8BITMIME ESMTP extension. However, if you use some sort of other transport
method, then 8bit must be negotiated according to that MTA's mechanisms. I
believe that Keld has indicated elsewhere that they most often use uucp as
the MTA.

Tonly is absolutely correct here.

Different transports have different limitations, and also have different means
of determining what the limitations are. UUCP in particular is often
8bit-capable or even binary-capable, and limitations are often defined out of
band on a per-link basis rather than being determined through negotiation.

                                Ned