C-D: Attachment Clarification

1995-01-17 23:53:21
Folks,

I'd like to make sure that I understand the intention behind the attachment
content disposition.  From reading the draft it sounds like attachments are
supposed to be presented separately from the message body, eg. as a shelf of
icons or a list of file names.  My question is what do I do if I have a
multimedia mail system that allows text, graphics, and icons representing
files to be mixed freely?  For example, I might have a message like this:

--------
Hey Fred,

Take a look at this image: [an image is displayed here]!  I created it using
this program: [an icon representing a C file is here].  Try it out yourself.
Here is some input data you can use: [an icon for a data file is here].

Cheers,
--Lyn
--------

Would a reasonable MIME representation look something like this:

        multipart/mixed
           text/plain -- inline
           image/gif -- inline; filename=foo.gif
           text/plain -- inline
           application/x-c-file -- attachment; filename=foo.c
           text/plain -- inline
           application/octet-stream -- attachment; filename=foo.data
           text/plain -- inline

If so, how would you distinguish this use of C-D: attachment from one that
refers to attachments that are truly separate from the body?

Thanks,
--Lennart