Re: quoted-phrase in content-disposition header

1995-01-23 04:12:40
Ned Freed <NED(_at_)innosoft(_dot_)com>:

Syntax is not semantics. The semantics of these parameters values is quite
different from the semantics of RFC1522 encoded-words.

That doesn't mean we cannot use the same syntax, and the same syntax
processors, for different functions.

OK

We do have additional work to do here, however. For example, should we allow
multiple character sets in the same parameter value?

In the case of a filename it shouldn't be necessary but if we
want this to be usable for other kinds of values it may be.

May main concern is that

   THIS PROBLEM MUST BE SOLVED IN (or in
   parallel with) THIS DRAFT!

Parallel I can accept. However, we need the mechanisms this
draft provides sooner rather than later.

I see that, but don't we need the *full* mechanisms, not just
part of it, with things needing to be changed later?

Note that files with non-ASCII names are not rare. At least on
Macs it is as natural to use non-ASCII letters in file names as
it is to use them in (other) text.

Sure. And this issue has been discussed endlessly in this
group and elsewhere. It came up when MIME moved from proposed
to draft, and we spent hours on it at a couple of different
IETF meetings.

I know that you and several others knows about this, but
there are newcomers.

As I recall it, the conclusions of the agreements on the IETF
meeting when the MIME text was finalized was that it is
impossible to change the MIME-version field, ever.

This simply is not the case.

I quote from the archive: