Re: Let the header name be "Location:"

1995-11-19 21:55:49
Al, et al,

At 7:01 PM 11/19/95, Al Gilman wrote:
What's the dif?

        MIME headers are different from RFC822 headers, in spite of their
many similarities.  We were actually pretty careful to try to keep this
separation clean.

        RFC822 headers pertain to messages.  MIME headers pertain to
content segments (i.e., body-parts).  Since both have headers and 822
headers have all sorts of long-standing inertia AND the first set of MIME
headers in a message are co-mingled with 822 headers for that message, the
convention was developed to have ALL (repeat:  ALL) MIME headers being with
the prefix CONTENT-.  It's ugly but that's nothing new in email.

        So, the convention for MIME is that new MIME headers begin
CONTENT-.  I can't imagine any technical basis for going against this
convention.

        If you want to refer to refreshing the whole message, then header
name Location is just dandy.  If you want the reference to be to the body
of the message (i.e., not including the headers) or a portion of the body
(i.e., a mime body-part) then the MIME convention requires that the name
begin Content-.

d/

Dave Crocker                                                +1 408 246 8253
Brandenburg Consulting                                fax:  +1 408 249 6205
675 Spruce Dr.
dcrocker(_at_)brandenburg(_dot_)com
Sunnyvale, CA  94086 USA                         http://www.brandenburg.com