Re: Let the header name be "Location:"

1995-11-20 12:53:21
At 2:52 AM 11/20/95, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
involved in writing the document.  There is no technical reason why an
agent should ignore header fields in body parts that do not begin with
"Content-".  No existing MIME applications discard these fields -- in fact,

      Can you speak with certainty about gateways?  Gateways are famous
for throwing away headers.

Yes, because we are not talking about the message headers here -- only the
body-part headers.  Gateways cannot alter those headers.

      Roy, there are two approaches to designing system enhancements:  No
reason this shouldn't work, versus, they're out to get us so what can we do
to make SURE it will work?

      In the Internet interoperability game -- and especially the email
game -- the latter has proved to be the necessary mode of design.  I said
necessary.

You are preaching to the choir there -- just look at the HTTP spec.

      Utlimately, all this leads to the question of your reason for
wanting to deviate from solidly-established convention?  What possible
benefit is there?

That is the important question, yes.  In my case, it allows each body part
to define the Entity-Headers (defined by HTTP as those header fields
containing information about the entity) for the entity within that body
part.  It is, in fact, the only thing that makes multipart/* useful
within the context of HTTP.  I cannot and will not change all of the HTTP
Entity-Header fields to add a Content- prefix, nor does it make sense
to disallow multipart except when each part is of type message/http.

The only thing that the above section accomplishes is waste bytes.

      Roy!  We're talking about RFC822 and MIME, here.  The byte-counting
war got lost 20 years ago.

Well, I didn't mean that as a design issue -- the section in question
just doesn't accomplish anything useful for MIME.

Cheers,

 ...Roy T. Fielding
    Department of Information & Computer Science
(fielding(_at_)ics(_dot_)uci(_dot_)edu)
    University of California, Irvine, CA 92717-3425    fax:+1(714)824-4056
    http://www.ics.uci.edu/~fielding/