Re: Restricting the list

1996-02-12 01:06:10
I estimate that we have now collectively spent at least 23 * 100 =
2300 minutes on this in response to one very short annoying message,
which could easily have been deleted without comment by everyone with
a great saving of effort.  (I believe it took me less that 3 seconds
to delete the offending message;-)...

I realize that the general topic of spam control is a legitimate issue
for discussion here, so I am not particularly upset about this use of
our time and effort in these lists.  I think we all understand the
issues better now;-)...

As for the legal aspects, I believe that under the (nifty) new law,
the sender in this case is the only guilty party, and that the
LISTSERVE was in no way guilty.  The person that posted the message to
the list serve knew what they were doing and obviously did it
willingly and intentionally with the motive of subverting the intended
purpose of the lists.

Do we really need to worry about such things trapping a listserve
operator into a prison term?

I do not want to now subvert this list into a legal discussion.  Where
should those who care go to participate and learn more about this
aspect of the legal issues?  Please note that I rigged the TO address
to make it hard to respond to the list with a simple reply;-)...

Cheers...\Stef

  Date:   Size:  From:              Subject:
  02/05    2105  Jim Conklin        Restricting the list
  02/05    2226  Ned Freed          Re: Restricting the list
  02/05    3558  "Donald E. Eastla  Re: Restricting the list
  02/06    2741  "John W. Noerenbe  Re: Restricting the list
  02/06    1945  Nathaniel Borenst  PS -- Re: Restricting the list
  02/06    2896  Nathaniel Borenst  Re: Restricting the list
  02/06    3178  Ben Nowlin         Re: Restricting the list
  02/06    7781  Ned Freed          Re: PS -- Re: Restricting the list
  02/06    2040  Ned Freed          Re: Restricting the list
  02/07    2684  Dave Crocker       Re: PS -- Re: Restricting the list
  02/08    3549  Tim Kehres         Re: PS -- Re: Restricting the list
  02/07    2636  "John W. Noerenbe  Re: Restricting the list
  02/07    1675  "Donald E. Eastla  Re: PS -- Re: Restricting the list
  02/07    4851  Ned Freed          Re: PS -- Re: Restricting the list
  02/07    2615  "John W. Noerenbe  Re: PS -- Re: Restricting the list
  02/07    2409  Dave Crocker       Re: PS -- Re: Restricting the list
  02/08    3148  "John W. Noerenbe  Re: PS -- Re: Restricting the list
  02/08    2182  Robert Moskowitz   Re: PS -- Re: Restricting the list
  02/08    2228  Robert Moskowitz   Re: PS -- Re: Restricting the list
  02/08    5698  Dave Crocker       Re: PS -- Re: Restricting the list
  02/08    6384  Ned Freed          Re: PS -- Re: Restricting the list
  02/10    1759  keld(_at_)dkuug(_dot_)dk      Re: Restricting the list