Re: Restricting the list

1996-02-21 00:40:49
On Tue, 20 Feb 1996, Jim Conklin wrote:

  (Sorry to be slow getting back to this.)
  There were lots of objections to allowing only subscribers to post to the
lists, so that restriction will NOT be made.
  There were a couple of suggestions that we'd be less likely to have
extraneous postings to the lists if they were not gatewayed to netnews.
Let me ask how many netnews readers we have for ietf-smtp and ietf-822,
and, in general, what the reaction would be to removing the gateway to
netnews for these lists.  It that also represents a problem, we'll just
leave it the way it is and see what hapens.

If the gateway to USENET is the concern, then it is always possible to
keep the lists wide open, while at the same time moderating the feed from
the USENET side.

-- Tim