Re:Mixing text and graphics with text/enriched and multipart/mixed

1996-05-03 07:58:29
On 5/3/96 at 3:55 AM  -0500, Martin R Raskovsky wrote:

Well, I can't find the spec, but I found what Nathaniel Borenstein told me:

From: Nathaniel Borenstein <nsb(_at_)nsb(_dot_)fv(_dot_)com>
Subject: Re: Images within Text
Date: Fri, 5 May 1995 12:56:09 -0400 (EDT)

... it's a design decision in MIME. One of the main reasons why the multipart
boundary is defined to INCLUDE the CRLF that leads into it is precisely to
enable this sort of situation. That is, the CRLF before the boundary is a part
of the boundary, not a part of the preceding part, according to the MIME spec.

That doesn't help because each of the paragraph formatting commands like
<center>, which is what Lennart was using, will cause a line break and
commands cannot be continued across multipart boundaries. Anyway, whether
or not the CRLF is included in the MIME boundary turns out to be
irrelavent, even in text/plain. There is no implied presentation
information given by that fact. You are at the very least not guaranteed
that you'll get what you want out of any given package.

Harald is correct: There is simply no way to do this in text/enriched, at
least reliably. The only solution is to go to text/html, which includes a
mechanism for displaying inline images.

BTW Lennart, you should take a RFC 1896, since 1563 was obseleted by that.
(I was one of the co-authors, so I've got to push my wares!)

pr

--
Pete Resnick <mailto:presnick(_at_)qualcomm(_dot_)com>
QUALCOMM Incorporated