Re: Bart's proposal

1997-07-10 12:32:06
On Jul 10,  5:52pm, D. J. Bernstein wrote:
} Subject: Re: Bart's proposal
}
} > My proposal can be implemented (for example) as a `copy me on replies'
} > toggle in the user interface.
}
} That would work with all of the proposals here. You claim that it is an
} advantage of your proposal; you are wrong.

It's not that specific item that I'm claiming as an advantage of my
proposal; I explicitly said that your proposal could support this as well:

after [Reply-Destinations] is properly initialized with the addresses of
all the mailing lists [the author can] be added or removed upon request.

} > Your proposal requires the UA to identify addresses that are mailing lists
} > and include them in the Reply-Destinations (or whatever you call it) field.
}
} Wrong. The correct algorithm is as follows. If the MUA knows that the
} user has subscribed to a mailing list shown in To+Cc, it automatically
} excludes him from subsequent followups. Otherwise it leaves him in.

And the rest of the algorithm is that every address in To and Cc is also
duplicated in Reply-Destinations?  Ok.

Then the advantage of my proposal is that it doesn't duplicate all that
information.  That could also be a disadvantage if you assume that the
Reply-Destinations field is less likely to be munged in transit than are
the To and Cc fields.