Re: Email Subaddressing

1997-07-30 19:26:46
1. ``+'' is not the de facto standard; qmail's ``-'' is in wider use by
several measures. (The separator is configurable by the sysadmin, but
most people stick to dash, which I recommend for a variety of reasons.)

        IFF subaddressing were to come to pass, then ...

        I would second the use of dash because  I use it,  and have
seen others use it regularly,  as a delimiter between application name
or ID and the version or release.   That is,  there is precedent for
dash to be used as a marker between specific and non-specific:

                bash
                bash-1.14
                bash-2.0

        looks visibly like

                troth
                troth-dnrc

        But should I accept these?

                troth-vmesa-l
                troth-ietf-822

        I would NOT like to see a slash used here, but there's
near precedent for that too.   (HP's OpenMail; others?)    Period
(dot) and underscore seem right out and comma would be difficult.

        Maybe it should be  list!user  ...   ;-)

--
Rick Troth at La Casita, Houston, Texas, USA