Re: draft-gellens-format-00

1998-08-19 10:46:00
On Wed, 19 Aug 1998, Ian Bell wrote:
If format=flowed used text/enriched-like line conventions (one CRLF =>
soft eol, n CRLFs => n-1 hard eols) rather than trailing spaces, would
a consensus be reached? (I have already suggested this to Randy.)

No.  That would force things which generate tables and the like to
double-space them so they'd be ugly to currently compliant text/plain
engines.

The goal is to not break currently compliant text/plain engines, while at
the same time providing a legitimate way for currently incompliant clients
to generate flowable paragraphs in text/plain.

I really see two alternate proposals at this point:

(1) Randy's format=flowed proposal -- a largely backwards compatible
modification to text/plain.

(2) A "format=paragraph/lines" label for paragraph-oriented text --
backwards compatible with current use, but not with current standards.

                - Chris