Re: format=flowed : why not use HTML?

1998-08-19 10:58:59
On 8/19/98 at 1:36 PM -0400, Keith Moore wrote:

So tell me, if one assumes the label approach (which I believe is present
in either proposal), why does that label have to be outside the content
itself?  What's the difference, really, between a label and an HTML tag?

Because things labeled as text/plain do not have interpreable content.
Text/html and text/enriched have guarantees about what will and will not be
displayed to the user. Whatever label we choose inside text/plain is by
definition legal to have in a text/plain message without it being
meaningful as a label.

Text/enriched is much more widely deployed and much easier to send without
gobs of markup than HTML. But as Ned points out, none of the promises have
borne fruit. I think this is a perfectly reasonable solution to a problem
that's been empirically shown not to be solveable by choosing a different
content-type.

pr
--
Pete Resnick <mailto:presnick(_at_)qualcomm(_dot_)com>
QUALCOMM Incorporated