Re: format=flowed : why not use HTML?

1998-08-19 11:41:26
On 8/19/98 at 2:29 PM -0400, Keith Moore wrote:

Are you proposing the use of a profile of HTML, which requires the <html>

something like that.  maybe without the <html> prefix.

But with the quoting convention for "<", ">", and quotation marks.

and maybe not an enforced profile, just a set of conventions for
generating recipient-friendly HTML (instead of multipart/alternative)

We could encourage senders to stay within the recipient-friendly subset,
and encourage readers to be able to render the recipient-friendly subset
even if they can't do full HTML.

As Ned is so fond of saying, "That dog don't hunt." Text/enriched is
probably more widely deployed in mail programs than text/html, it has a
much simpler syntax (only "<<" for quoting the "<" symbol and "<nofill>"
for doing forced-wrap text), and still people wouldn't accept it, let alone
generate it reasonably. I think using any kind of internal markup that is
not fully text/plain compatible is a losing battle.

pr
--
Pete Resnick <mailto:presnick(_at_)qualcomm(_dot_)com>
QUALCOMM Incorporated