Re: format=flowed : why not use HTML?

1998-08-19 11:47:03
Are you proposing the use of a profile of HTML, which requires the <html>

something like that.  maybe without the <html> prefix.

But with the quoting convention for "<", ">", and quotation marks.

Yep.

As Ned is so fond of saying, "That dog don't hunt."

I thought that was Jeff Case's saying...

Text/enriched is
probably more widely deployed in mail programs than text/html, it has a
much simpler syntax (only "<<" for quoting the "<" symbol and "<nofill>"
for doing forced-wrap text), and still people wouldn't accept it, let alone
generate it reasonably. I think using any kind of internal markup that is
not fully text/plain compatible is a losing battle.

Okay, so this really is the quoted-printable problem all over again.
People won't generate that reasonably either...though I've always
wondered if this is because it seems too difficult, or they haven't
tried, or they didn't think of it, or they just don't care.

Keith