Re: format=flowed : why not use HTML?

1998-08-20 00:06:20
Jamie Zawinski wrote:

Pete Resnick wrote:

Text/enriched is much more widely deployed [...] than HTML.

On what do you base this assertion?  I'm afraid I don't believe it.

I agree 100% with jwz.

I am the moderator of the french newsgroups fr.emplois.*
hierarchy (job offers and requests) and receive about 25% of 500
articles per day sent directly from a SMTP MUA to my moderator's mailbox.
None of them, I repeat : none of them, used text/enriched in the last
three years. These articles come from all over the world.

25%*500*365*3 = 136875. And 0% of 136875 messages is not IMHO "widely
deployed"...

BTW, about 20% of 136875 are made of a multipart/mixed with a text/plain
and a text/html...

Furthermore, since 1992, the number of messages I got in my personal mailbox
using the text/richtext or text/enriched is less than 10 (ten).

In fact, Pete is right : text/enriched is widely deployed. But is
not widely used.

</Daniel>