Re: format=flowed : why not use HTML?

1998-08-19 12:15:07
Pete Resnick wrote:

On 8/19/98 at 11:36 AM -0700, Jamie Zawinski wrote:

Text/enriched is much more widely deployed [...] than HTML.

On what do you base this assertion?  I'm afraid I don't believe it.

You guys support it. We do. Pine does. Anyone with a metamail-compatible
mail reader supports it. Lots of old MIME-aware mailers support it. AOL
doesn't royally screw it up anymore; I don't know how strong their support
for it is.

Does MS support it?  (I don't know.)

How many people do you think realize that Netscape supports it?
I'm guessing "about a hundred."

There are certainly a lot more text/html messages out there than there
have ever been text/enriched messages.  For better or worse.

Seems pretty widely deployed to me. (On the receiving end we're talking
about, not the sending end.)

I think you have to look at both...

I really can't get excited about trying to deploy yet another markup
language, even if it's one that has been around (and unused) longer than
HTML.  If you're going to do a markup language at all, it might as well
be HTML. HTML is here, and it's not going away.

--
Jamie Zawinski             http://www.jwz.org/              about:jwz