Re: format=flowed : why not use HTML?

1998-08-20 23:19:09
Well, I've been watching the exchange.

Let me see if I understand the arguments:

1.  text/html (or other html use)

For:
It is supported in some user agents already.  If has more than enough power
for the paragraph wrapping.

Against:
It is supported in ONLY SOME user agents already.  It is very ugly when
seen with user agents that don't support html.

2.  text/paragraph

For:
simple.  sufficient.  no extra (formatting) data in text.

Against:
New text/ subtype gets mishandled when unknown to UA.  (sigh.)

3.  text/plain format=flowed

For:
simple.  sufficient.  no extra (formatting) data in text.  does not
misbehave with UAs that don't recognize the parameter.

Against:
yet-another mechanism, when text/html is probably going to take over
(eventually).

Concerning text/html, one could argue that it is only a matter of time
before it will be widely supported.  It is probably even reasonable to
claim that it will eventually be the default 'text' encoding mode for
users.  I suspect that this will be statistically true in relatively few
years, myself.  However, "reasonable" does not mean certain and the
downside of being wrong, even for a short time, is quite a few very angry
users.

If the details of my 1, 2 and 3 summary, above, are correct, then number 3
looks painless, easy and sufficient.  sounds like a win.

What did I miss?

d/

Dave CROCKER
<mailto:dcrocker(_at_)brandenburg(_dot_)com>

+1(408)246 8253          BRANDENBURG CONSULTING           +60(19)3299 445

675 Spruce Drive                                      P. O.  Box 296, UPM
Sunnyvale, CA 94086       www.brandenburg.com     Serdang, Selangor 43400
United States            Fax:  +1 408 273 6464                   Malaysia