Re: Proper way to specify "Do Not Reply"?

1998-10-08 08:35:25
In article
<199810081439(_dot_)KAA07134(_at_)black-ice(_dot_)cc(_dot_)vt(_dot_)edu>,
Valdis(_dot_)Kletnieks(_at_)vt(_dot_)edu writes
While discussing a brokked email system at a well-known ISP that is
generating unreplyable messages, a co-worker asked me what the proper
way to *specify* that no reply is to be attempted.  I was stumped.

Yes, you can point Reply-To: at a bogus address, or a /dev/null, but
I can't think of any way to specifically flag a message as "FYI only,
no reply desired".  Am I just caffeine-defficient today, or is there
in fact no such beast?

And if there isn't, should there be?

For news, draft-ietf-usefor-article-01.txt suggests

analogous to the empty SMTP reverse path, but this isn't RFC822
conformant.

An empty group has valid RFC822 syntax, it might have the desired
effect.

--
Paul Overell                                        T U R N P I K E  Ltd