Re: Format=Flowed and Non-ASCII Characters

1998-10-26 15:10:53
At 1998-10-26 14:02, Valdis(_dot_)Kletnieks(_at_)vt(_dot_)edu wrote:

On Mon, 26 Oct 1998 12:35:30 PST, Randall Gellens said:
I meant when you generate the message and add "Format=Flowed", please
wrap your lines, so that each line is < 80 characters.  That way the
message will look good if the recipient understand Format=Flowed, or
not.

OK. It's Monday, and I'm dense.

It happens to all of us...

If you're wrapping your lines so each
is <80, what's the point of format=flowed?  Just so an MUA can take ONE
pre-flowed paragraph and re-write it as ANOTHER one?

I thought the point of format=flowed was so that MUAs that liked to send
one VERY long line per paragraph could do so....

By wrapping format=flowed at < 80 characters, but marking each line as
flowed with a trailing space, the message is most likely to be treated
optimally by both UAs that understand format=flowed as well as those that
don't. The former will consider the lines to be part of a single
paragraph, whereas the latter will show the lines separately, rather than
as one long line requiring horizontal scrolling to see.

--
Ashley Yakeley, Seattle WA