Re: Halloween/Message receipts

1998-11-23 14:03:57
On 11/23/98 at 3:58 PM -0500, Keith Moore wrote:

Alas, it looks like people are aren't following the rules laid down in the RFC, which makes makes this mechanism an accident waiting to happen, just like the ad-hoc things that preceeded it.

sounds like a good reason to declare the whole thing Experimental, or maybe Historic...

Not to me. Just because people can screw it up does not mean that most will. We have massive experience with people screwing up SMTP, MIME, etc. The fact that we have plenty of good implementations means that we shouldn't be moving things to Experimental or Historic; to do so would just be reactionary.

Some of us are doing this right.

pr
--
Pete Resnick <mailto:presnick(_at_)qualcomm(_dot_)com>
QUALCOMM Incorporated