Re: draft-gellens-format-03.txt

1999-03-18 08:45:06
On Thu, 18 Mar 1999, Charles Lindsey wrote:

I think one had to be fairly brutal with non-compliant software. Just
post messages obeying the rules, and when people with non-compliant
software find themselves inconvenienced, then the pressure by them
upon the writers of the software will produce results quicker than any
other known method :-) .

Many people won't want to send mail that can't be read by Outlook or AOL.
For the most part mailing lists are pure text.  But you still see people
sending Outlook HTML/text MIME concoctions.  I'm sure some have
.procmail'd Outlook email because it can so annoying.

I'd like a tool that sends mail to postmaster for any domain that sends me
noncompliant email.  How many date formats will pine have to support when
Date: was defined way back in RFC822?  My favorite is the spam tools that
send dates with slashes: 1/22/99!  Maybe the spammer tools are not y2k
compliant.  :-)

Anyway, pressure and inconvenience aren't very reliable in light of users
believing that Microsoft (or IBM) has all the answers.  Brutality will
affect the user of 'our' software too and you have to be the majority for
such brutality to be effective.  Microsoft is the majority despite their
utter lack of RFC compliance.  Which leaves you with gorilla warfare.

--
</chris>

Neither Sweat, nor blood, nor frustration, or lousy manuals
nor missing parts, or wrong parts shall keep me from my task.

UNIX *is* user-friendly.  It's just picky about who its friends are.