Re: limitation of the number of To: (and Cc:)

2001-05-26 17:34:37
On 5/26/01 at 11:21 AM +0900, Kazu Yamamoto wrote:

I have one question about RFC2822. It defines the number of To:
(or Cc:) zero minimum, one maximum.

In practice, there are so many messages which contains two or more To:
(or Cc:).

Could you tell me the background of this limitation?

1. It is unnecessary to have more than one To: or Cc: fields in a message since all addresses can be put into one. If the line is too long, folding can be used.

2. There are MUAs (I know of one particularly well!) which ignore multiple occurrences of these fields when using the "Reply to all" command or when doing filtering and do not recognize the addresses in the extra ones.

You say there are "many messages" with multiple To: and Cc: fields. What clients are producing these?

pr
--
Pete Resnick <mailto:presnick(_at_)qualcomm(_dot_)com>
QUALCOMM Incorporated - Direct phone: (858)651-4478, Fax: (858)651-1102