Re: limitation of the number of To: (and Cc:)

2001-05-28 23:03:47
From: Pete Resnick <presnick(_at_)qualcomm(_dot_)com>
Subject: Re: limitation of the number of To: (and Cc:)

You say there are "many messages" with multiple To: and Cc: fields.
What clients are producing these?

I can enumerate three types:

(1) Consider a UA which allows a user to set Cc: field optionally. A
    user may always uses the option for backup. That is, all message
    which he sends will come back to him thanks to Cc:.

    Such a UA generates another Cc: field (and To: field) when
    replying. Note the Cc: field above is optional.

Not necessarily; the agent is free to combine all the To: addresses
into a single To: field and all the Cc: addresses into a single Cc: field.
The user agents I am familiar with do this.

Or perhaps you're confusing the idea of a multiple fields with multiple
addresses? Multiple addresses in a single field are fine, multiple fields are
not.

(2) Consider a UA which allows a user to edit the header of a draft
    message. (UAs on Emacs, for example.) With such a UA, a user may
    write multiple To:/Cc: fields.

Again, the multiple addresses can be combined onto single fields. And again the
user agents I'm familiar with do this.

(3) Some shell scripts generate a message which contains multiple To:,
    one address by one To: field.

I can see how a naive shell script might do this; the solution is not
to use such naive scripts.

                                Ned