Re: limitation of the number of To: (and Cc:)

2001-05-28 23:15:12
From: ned(_dot_)freed(_at_)mrochek(_dot_)com
Subject: Re: limitation of the number of To: (and Cc:)

Not necessarily; the agent is free to combine all the To: addresses
into a single To: field and all the Cc: addresses into a single Cc: field.
The user agents I am familiar with do this.

The background of my question: my mail reader doesn't combile
addresses even if there are multiple To: fields. I think this is
conformant to RFC822.

Reading RFC2822, I realized that I should modify my mail reader to
combine addresses to a single To: field as you said, Ned.

I needed to know why RFC2822 made such a change before implementing
it.

Personally, I feel that this requirement of RFC2822 should have be a
"SHOULD", not a "MUST".

Or perhaps you're confusing the idea of a multiple fields with multiple
addresses? Multiple addresses in a single field are fine, multiple fields are
not.

I think I'm not confusing.

--Kazu